It’s been a very long time since Out of Tokens did anything but hey, times change, motivation returns and other things. First off, the show is returning in 2019 but in a different format! We’ll be on Twitch instead of audio only and just bi-weekly instead of weekly. The show will be on twitch.tv/indg, exact day of the week is still being worked out as our EIC streams regularly on her own channel. Follow us on twitter for updates and announcementson the shows return!
Secondly, there’s a new episode for you all to enjoy. Not an interview, but audio from the PAX Unplugged panel that our EIC did on racism in TTRPG’s.
Audio of the PAX Unplugged panel I moderated about not having racism in your TTRPG settings, games or in your table.
Tabletop is growing and expanding, and with it there’s an increased need for diversity at the table. Let’s talk frankly about why racism at the table shouldn’t be a thing you do as a GM or player. Also, let’s get real about racism in our settings and campaigns, talk about what we can do to stamp it out as much as possible in a land where elves, orcs, and dragons roam but racism seems to be a neverending boss battle.
Moderator: Tanya DePass ~ @cypheroftyr
Omari Akil ~ @OmariAkil
Adam Koebel ~ @skinnyghost
Nadja Otikor ~ @Trist_Chi
Carlos Luna ~ @CarlosCrits
Surena Marie ~ @SurenaXMarie
APoisal ~ @APoisal
One year ago today, our first episode with Chris Algoo dropped, Prism Shells, Tres Witchers and E3 Predications.
Who knew that a show put together on a shoestring, eight hours prep time and a MP3 Skype recorder would still be here a year later? We’ll we’re still around, still getting amazing guests willing to share their stories with us.
Thank you everyone who’s been a guest, who’s sent a comment or review in on iTunes or Stitcher. Thank you to everyone who listens and sends us questions for guests, or has supported us along the way.
Thank you to Steve Lubitz of Disruption FM, Cicero Holmes, Kahlief Adams and Shareef Jackson of Spawn on Me for their guidance as I struggled with even starting a podcast.
Everyone who had advice along the way, for good or ill. Especially y’all who heard that first episode and stuck with us! ❤
Thank you to Tim (Thain1982) for his non-stop support and this lovely message to celebrate our first year:
I truly loved both times I got to be on Fresh Out of Tokens. I was a little nervous when I found out the episode with David and Andrew would be a free discussion, since that was my first time on any podcast, but we had a really fantastic conversation, and the Star Trek discussion we had was great fun.
Coming back to guest host the interview with BioFanOfficial was even more fun. Sharing all the Bioware feels was just fantastic, and I love that Tanya brings Bioware love up so much in the show in general.
I love the work y’all are doing, and getting to be a small part of it was a tremendous honor (and an absolute blast). Any time y’all need an emergency guest host, just say the word.
Another big thank you to @krageinsf/Juls for this awesome message, which is especially touching since she’s not a gamer and find something in our show.
Hello Tanya and David.
I just wanted to send a note about how much I love your show and how much it means to me, as someone who is NOT a gamer. I don’t play many of the games you talk about, but I started listening because of the #INeedDiverseGames.
The content of your show is just superb. As a teacher, I am always looking for other sources of information to strengthen and improve my teaching/presentations. The wealth of knowledge shared by you (as hosts), your guests, and the other listeners of the show is amazing. I feel so lucky to have stumbled onto your podcast and listen in exchange for a few donations when I can scrape together the cash. (To other listeners, if you are able, PLEASE PLEASE DONATE!).
Although I am not a gamer, your show has helped me learn about pros, cons, and _meh_ about some of the games my sister and her partner do play. There is a really great balance of enough detail that I can follow along when I watch her play, but not so overwhelming that I’m completely shut out of the discussion.
Thank you so much for your show.
We’re looking forward to an even better year, and to do that we’d love your feedback! Please fill out this brief feedback form so we can improve.
Here’s our episode roster in case you’re new to the show, or missed an episode over the last year.
- Prism Shells, Tres Witchers and E3 Predications – Chris Algoo
- Hip Hop Can help you Code, and #GamingLooksGood thanks to Shareef Jackson
- Games Critique As POC: Pitfalls, Perils & Perls of Wisdom – Austin Walker, Katherine Cross & Tauriq Moosa
- Brooklyn Gamery and #BlackGameDev for the Win – Catt Small, Chris Algoo and Dennis Liaw
- The Great Gita Escapade
- We had a @WickedGood time with Steve Lubitz
- Caelyn is a Gem
- We Go Back In the Crates of our Gaming Past & More with Lauren Warren from Black Girl Nerds
- Tiene dos languages en est podcast; we asked @Comosedicenerd, se habla geek?
- Get your #AltGames fix with Jason Vega
- Feminist Gaming Fight Club with Amy Isaac
- Ladies Night – AKA HAWKE FEELS!
- #SwordsOfSorrow and Magical Cupcakes with Mikki Kendall
- GX3 & Teaching Turing with Matt Conn and Toni Rocca
- Navigating the Grey Areas of ACE Representation in gaming & beyond with Defira85 – Kirsty Connor
- Interview with a Fennec Slayer, Allan Schumacher
- Die Nachtblume, Twine and Pitching Tips with Katriel Paige
- An Altus for All Seasons, on how Dorian came to be with David Gaider
- Night of the Living Memes, Academics and Political Gaming bodies with Megan Condis
- We’re running away to the Savage Empire with Tim Lewinson
- We Spun the Dialogue Wheel with ChachiBobinks and Andrew Baker!
- Let’s Get Brainy with Deborah Budding, aka @Nebula63
- We re-Spawned in #Brookago with Kahlief Adams & Cicero Holmes, our podcast fam from @SpawnOnMe
- Double the Wu, double the fun! We got Bri-jacked by @Spacekatgal & @TheFrankWu
- We got our Interactive Fiction fix with Carolyn VanEseltine
- Bonus episode! Battle of the F-Bombs with Anthony Burch
- We got it on with BrothaDom behind the mic about writing, diversity and his origin story
- We got our Theological Geek on with Jeremy Yoder of @GeekCrossShow
- We rolled a nat 20 with @NJWGames
- A conversation with @Thain1982 and @ABakerN7 (all white men have strong opinions on Star Trek)
- Sangfroid_San on #GamesSoWhite, Black women in gaming and games journalism – Sidney Fussell
- On Monstrous Women and overly equipped police in Games with @MaxxieBytes
- Tevinter Family Values with @BioFanOfficial
- Dudes, we had the Best Chat with Holly Brockwell about Gadgette and more! (Tauriq Moosa guest co-hosting)
- We hit all the right notes in our convo with Guild Wars 2 dev, Lena Chappelle
- We got Jimquisited!
- Josh Samuels ‘Arrived’ to chat with us about the Taino people, representation, Arrival Game & more!
- We went back to the arcade with @Sparklebliss about Coin Operated Americans, masculinity and games marketing changes over the years – Carly Kocurek
- We got our Seven hearty dreaNABIT’s in during our chat with Simply Undrea
- Martin Sahlin swung by to spin a yarn about Unravel game!
- We realized that gaming misses a lot even with eyes wide open thanks to @snarkbat – Elsa Sjunneson-Henry
- We got our dose of blerd goodness when Jamie Broadnax of @BlackGirlNerds dropped by!
- Localization, Devil Spit, and sailing with Bioware’s Mel Fleming
- Meet the devs that made We Are Chicago, hear about their process and journey to make this game. Cindy Miller, Michael Block & Guest Co-Host, Shareef Jackson
- We cast a temporal spell and landed at Midnight with Eve Eschenbacher
- Games Critique as POC re-release, Directors cut Austin Walker, Katherine Cross & Tauriq Moosa
- Pop Culture Covens and Hipster Holy Priestesses – Tzufit A.
- We Rolled a Critical Hit for tabletop Diversity with Donna Prior
- We’re so glad that Meg Jayanth is in the gaming industry
- Twitch, Bioware feels and fandom with LadyInsanity – Ashe Soriano
- Liam Esler disproves his twitter bio of all style and no substance during his visit with us!