We talked with Cindy Miller and Michael Block about making We Are Chicago, the challenges of making a game that portrays real issues of violence in the Windy City, especially as devs who are telling a story that’s not theirs.
We have tees, and other items in the #INeedDiverseGames spreadshirt shop. We’re splitting the profits 50/50 with Chachibobinks. There’s a blog to compliment the show!
Follow us at outoftokenscast.com If you have questions, compliments, hate mail feel free to drop a note there as well. You can also @ us on twitter; @OutOfTokensCast or email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Musical accompaniment for Fresh Out of Tokens is provided by Mike Moody. You can hear more of her work at: http://soundcloud.com/mikemoody-1
Questions for We Are Chicago team:
How important is visual accuracy (real-world correspondence) in creating “We Are Chicago”?
After working on this project, what elements do you consider most important for communicating a setting?
(as I’m leaving Chicago today): Deep dish or thin crust pizza?
What we’re playing:
Cindy: 1979 Revolution, Divinity: Original Sin, Banished, Firewatch, Star Fox 64
Michael: 1979 Revolution, Firewatch, That Dragon Cancer, Life Is Strange
Tanya: The Division, Street Fighter V, Resident Evil 6: HD Remaster, Man O’ War: Corsica
Shareef: Quantum Break, The Division, Enter the Gungeon, Twilight Princess
Where to find our guests online
- Cindy Miller @pigglebutts
- Michael Block @mikamikem
- We Are Chicago Game
- Urbanology Interview
- Intelligame Article on Michael’s GDC Talk
Where to find your hosts online:
- Tanya D. – @cypheroftyr // @INeedDivGms
- Twitch: twitch.tv/cypheroftyr // twitch.tv/INeedDivGames
- Patreon: patreon.com/INeedDivGms // patreon.com/cypheroftyr
Guest Co-Host: Shareef Jackson
- Twitter: @ShareefJackson // @OperationCube // @SpawnOnMe
- Twitch: twitch.tv/ReefJackson
- YouTube. youtube.com/user/ShareefJackson
- Website: shareefjackson.com, gaminglooksgood.com, operationcubicle.net